Monday, October 6, 2014

FRESHMAN YEAR:Lab Relationships

So far in class I've seen 2 lab whiteboards. I'm not sure, we may have done 3, but I was absent last Friday so I have no idea what we've done. In each of the lab whiteboards we've discussed the relationships we've experimented with.

The first lab I'm going to talk about is lab #6. This was the pendulum lab where we've tested if mass effects the time it takes the pendulum to swing. We discovered there was no relationship between the two. As mass increases nothing happens to the time. The data was not perfect and they did not get the same results each time due to human error. The groups most likely timed wrong. If there was a graph, it would look like a straight horizontal line.

We also did a whiteboard discussion on lab #1. This was the circle lab where we discussed how diameter affects circumference. We came to a consensus and decided if the diameter increases so will the circumference of the circle. Everyone agreed that the graph was linear. For quite awhile, we had a quarrel concerning the y-intercept. We decided that it should be 0, or at least near 0. The equation should look a lot like 3.14


****I got a bit confused and got mixed up on which labs we've discussed and which we've did on our own, just comment if i've missed one...also I'll try to catch up on tuesday and see if what we discussed on Friday. I'll go back and edit my blog if there's new information****

Edits:
Carpet tile lab: main thing we learned that we can't have 0,0 unless you can actually measure the specific point. Also..it was linear so for every .42 grams increase in mass, we get 1 increase in area.

Lever lab: Absent that day, but it should be linear.

We didnt discuss sphere or circle lab #2 in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment